Thursday 18 September 2014

Encounter Tables pt.3

After over a year of playtesting I finally had some practical conclusions regarding the encounter tables I shared previously.

The idea was to simulate random combat encounters in a form currently popular in the video games genre. Such random combat encounters add additional challenge, action and pure entertainment to the gameplay. The thing is that pen and paper RPG's don't work this way. Mainly due to the fact they have much broader spectrum of experiences to offer than arcade or tactical combat.
Thus, using too much random combat encounters destroys the game rather than constructs it.
With this conclusion I must say I was not particularly happy, especially after all the work I have done and the hopes that I had for an enhanced gaming experience.

Then I had en enlightening discussion with my grognard and OSR friend about sandboxing and random encounters.
I myself being the gamer of the 90's have been taught to control the plot from A to Z. Random combat encounter were already a huge step for me towards unpredictability.
But if you accept the concept of random non-combat encounter, including plot-building ones, a new array of possibilities emerges.

Please note that it is not a tale of the 90's kid being seduced by the dark side  old school gaming but a story of a plot building DM who searches for ways of bringing the gaming world to life and bringing to the game more than just one mind can control and comprehend. For the benefit of both the players and the DM.

So I sat down and crafted an encounter table to rule other encounter tables. It does introduce more interesting events than ordinary combat. It provokes DM's mind and provides a variety of adventures and opportunity to role-play to the players. Combat is only part of the menu now.
Please use it if you find it inspiring. I deliberately kept it rather general and high-level. Browsing the web I found some interesting selections of non-combat encounters, mostly very detailed. But the point here is to provide a universal tool which would not require re-writing every few gaming sessions once the options have been exhausted.

You can download it from the Bibliotheca or from the link below.
ADnD Encounter Tables - General

Good gaming!


No comments:

Post a Comment