Thursday 18 December 2014

D&D 5 conversion tool



I started my current campaign on AD&D2e rules with some customizations. You can find them on this blog rather easily.
After getting my hands on the new edition of D&D I finally decided to make this huge step (for me) and upgrade. The reasons for this will be explained in my upcoming D&D5 review.
For now it should just suffice to say that I will continue to run the game as planned which is working on classic AD&D modules modified to taste.
This leaves a bit of a problem however as apart from the characters playing in my game I will have to convert all modules to the new system.
Since I do not like working too much I crosschecked some solutions on the web as well as compared stats and mechanics of both editions (2 and 5) and came up with a general THACO &AC conversion guideline which should help me work on the fly without spending hours recalculating every single NPC and monster.

I place it here hoping that it might be useful for anyone out there (for YOU particularly).
I intend to run Against the Slave Lords series, War of the Spider Queen and some other old-school modules using this conversion sheet.

Enjoy!


Comments:


The conversion sheet contains data from AD&D1 and AD&D2 and rules how to convert them to D&D5.
There are two separate tables for monsters and intelligent (playable) races since I figures out they did not translate well with just one algorithm. Intelligent races have classes which alter their basic BAB. Monsters are just what they are so the conversion is direct.

In most cases intelligent opponents will be fighters so an additional +2 should be added to their basic BAB. This requires a bit of knowledge of D&D5 to understand how classes impact BAB but should not be quite natural after getting familiar with the new system.


No comments:

Post a Comment